Thursday 17 September 2015

Lupita Nyong'o on her second cover for Vogue Magazine

Oscar winner Lupita Nyong’o talks to Plum Sykes on her new cover for Vogue Mag's October 2015 edition about fame, family, and her four new acting projects.

 Here’s what the 32-year-old Kenyan actress had to share with the mag:

"As a teenager auditioning in Nairobi, she was told that her skin was ''too dark'' for her to be on television. Lupita is Luo, a member of the Nilotic tribe that migrated south from Sudan. They are one of the darkest-skinned of the African tribes. Although the Luo are a sizable ethnic group in Kenya, known for their intelligence and scholarship, the Luo language, like most other tribal tongues, was forbidden at Kenyan schools. She had to speak English or Swahili. “So there was a certain amount of shame attached to my mother tongue. . . . I developed this discomfort in all things that identified me as ethnically Luo when I was a teenager.” Was she put off by being told her skin was too dark for her to act? ''No,'' she says, with a determined look on her face. “It didn’t ring true. I just thought, I need to find another way.''

On loving both America and Kenya:

''I definitely feel there’s a lot of America in me,'' she continues. ''The idea that you can be self-made is very vibrant in America. You can do anything that you want to do. That spirit pushes you on. But it took me leaving Kenya to really appreciate the glory of the place. Ultimately, I will always be a child of Kenya.''

On drama vs. comedy:

''I’m definitely attracted to more dramatic roles. I like playing characters that stretch me and that allow me to investigate humanity in a different way.''

J.J. Abrams, on Lupita in Star Wars:

''We needed a powerful actress to play a powerful character. Lupita was someone I’d known a little and was enormously fond of. More important, her performance in 12 Years a Slave blew my mind, and I was vaguely desperate to work with her.''

This is Lupita‘s second Vogue cover — the first was just over a year ago!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...