Friday 11 September 2015

Roberta Vinci ends Serena Williams’s grand slam bid at U.S. Open

Italian world number 43 Roberta Vinci defeated Serena Williams, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 on Friday to advance to the final at the U.S. Open, in her first Grand Slam semifinal.

Vinci, 32, apologized to the crowd afterward for changing the story line at the Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens, New York.

''For the American people, for Serena, for the Grand Slam and everything,'' she said. ''But today is my day. Sorry, guys.''

She then added, ''It's an incredible moment for me. It's amazing. It's like a dream, you know? I'm in the final. I beat Serena. I think [it's] the best moment of my life.''

When asked later about how she managed to play so well.

''In my mind, I say put the ball on the court,'' Vinci told reporters. ''Don't think. Try to put all the ball on the court. Don't think about that Serena is in the other court. And run, you know, when you put the ball, run. Don't think and run. And then I won.''

Williams said, "I don't want to talk about how disappointed I am. I never felt pressure. I never felt pressure playing this tournament.

''I thought she played the best tennis in her career," Williams added about Vinci. "She played, literally, out of her mind."

"I don't think I played that bad. I made a few more unforced errors than I normally make. She doesn't didn't want to lose today. Either did I," she continued.

Instead of Williams playing for a Grand Slam in Saturday’s final, it will be an all-Italian affair between Vinci and 26th-seeded Flavia Pennetta, who beat No. 2 Simona Halep, 6-1, 6-3, in another upset earlier Friday.

This will be their 10th meeting.












No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...