Saturday 17 December 2016

Jonathan speaks on Honorary Doctorate Degrees awarded to Him, Gowon by BU and His 2015 Election Loss

Former president Goodluck Jonathan and former head of state of Nigeria General Yakubu Gowon were awarded Honorary Doctorate Degree by Bingham University in Karu, Nasarawa State on Saturday December 17, 2016.

''On my way to Bingham University in Karu, Nasarawa State where He Gen Yakubu Gowen and I will be awarded the Honorary Doctorate Degree today,'' Jonathan started by saying on his twitter handle.

''He Gen Gowon and I were warmly welcomed by Bingham University staff and faculty upon arriving on the premises,''  he continued.

''Today I am being honoured with an honorary doctorate degree by the pioneer private university and faith based ivory tower in the north,'' he added, ''I congratulate Bingham University, the students and the Evangelical Church of West Africa on the 10th anniversary of this great institution. Aged 33 he was a youth but his wisdom propelled him into bringing an end to the civil war with his wise 'No Victor No Vanquished' statement. As a military leader Gen Gowon used the rifle and bayonet as weapons of unity. Today he used the Holy Bible and 'Nigeria Prays'  to unite us. He Gen. Yakubu Gowon is a person we all greatly esteem, admire and honour. He is the most senior among the former Heads of State in Nigeria.

''I am fulfilled knowing that my conceding while the votes were still being compiled set the example for other nations to emulate. I know it was the right thing to do. My mantra 'my political ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian' is not just a political slogan. Let me make it clear that this act was born out of my personal principles and convictions. I was not persuaded by anyone within or outside.

''One of the reasons I convened the 2014 national Conference was to devise a polity devoid of tension and crisis. A polity that will bring unity to this country. A polity that will not divide us along gender, tribal, ethnic or religious lines. This is against human dignity and we should uphold our values as a nation of great people who love and respect one another. I have seen politicians whose children school and live abroad selfishly mobilize others' children as thugs to fight and die during elections. I believe in a peaceful Nigeria and since my award today is based on my commitment to peace, I have a simple message to my fellow graduands. By this award today He Gowon and I are alumnus of this great university and we have greater stake in ensuring it remains a shining light. You are not a complete or true graduate if you pass all your exams with distinctions but found wanting in character. We must all work hard to ensure that graduates from this university are qualified by character and learning. I urge the students of this institution to abhor acts, such as cultism, that will tarnish the image of this university. I know I am preaching to the Pope because this institution was established and stands on strong Christian principles and such vices will not. I charge the faculty to develop curricula that will produce decent citizens and graduate that will fit into our social and economic setrings.

''Our education must be total and our graduates must fit into our political, social and economic environment. Products of our institutions must be patriotic citizens and believe in one peaceful Nigeria. Universities should design their General Studies courses to create patriotic citizens.I am convinced that institutions like BU are on track. It is my distinct pleasure to accept this honorary doctorate degree graciously awarded to me and to dedicate it to the people of Nigeria. Nigeria is a great nation Challenges whether political or economic are temporary with commitment from citizens we can overcome such setbacks.

''We are a resilient people and Nigeria will continue to be a leading African nation. Without that opportunity I would never have had the platform to achieve those things that have made you consider me worthy of this honour. To the young men and women that are receiving their degrees and certificates today we are handing over the baton of leadership to you. You must unite and embrace peace for us to have the Nigeria of our dreams. Nigerians elected me from a minority clan of a minority tribe to preside over the affairs of this great nation for five years.''

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...