Thursday 12 June 2014

Fifa president Blatter must go - Uefa president Platini

Uefa president Michel Platini (pictyre aove)says he does not support Sepp Blatter's bid for re-election as Fifa president.

Blatter has ruled football's mother body since 1998, and initially promised to step down when his term ends in 2015.

However, the 78-year-old later announced he wants to remain in the job - a move which drew sharp criticism from English FA chairman Greg Dyke and his Netherlands counterpart Michael van Praag at a Uefa summit on Tuesday.

Platini is likewise against Blatter retaining control of Fifa, according to L'Equipe.

He is quoted as saying: "I am supporting Sepp Blatter no longer. It's finished.

"I have known him for a long time, I like him, but I'm not favourable to him having another term.

"I supported him in 1998, but I do not support him in 2014. I have told him that. I think Fifa needs a breath of fresh air."

The Frenchman did not rule out running against Blatter.

"It is an option. But it is not because Blatter is running that Michel Platini will not run. And it is not because Blatter is not running that Michel Platini will run.

"My only concern is knowing what I want to do. I am 60 soon and I need to know what I want. I will take my time."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...