Sunday 6 September 2015

Police arrest a suspected pickpocket in Mile 2, Lagos

Men of the Lagos State Government enhanced security outfit – Rapid Response Squad (RRS) have arrested a suspected armed robber Monday Ubi, 23, that specializes in picking people’s pockets around Mile ‘2’ area of Lagos State over the weekend.

Ubi was nabbed following a distress call from a victim Orji Ogbonnaya, who was robbed of the sum of Twenty-Eight Thousand Naira (N28, 000) from his pocket inside a commercial bus.

Here's what Ogbonnaya told the operatives of RRS led by commander Tunji Disu.

''I boarded a bus to Mile 2 from Oshodi,'' he said. ''On getting to Toyota Bus stop, the suspect came in as another passenger because there were still vacant seats inside the bus. I did not have any inkling that he had a mission. I shifted a bit for him and he sat close to me. When I noticed that he had removed the money from my pocket after I touched my thigh, I pretended as if nothing had happened. Then I was looking for where I can see any Police patrol vehicle to come to my rescue. When we reached Mile 2, he wanted to alight from the bus and I held his trousers, then I called the attention of RRS patrol team I saw around the area. Unknown to me, he has passed the money to one of his gang. But when the Police had surrounded us, we saw one man who just dropped the money on the road and fled away. Policemen ran after him but he absconded. Immediately, the suspect was arrested and conveyed to the squad’s headquarters, where he confessed that he actually stole my money and passed it to his partner, the guy who dropped it.''

The suspect, who lives at 19, Olutimeyin Street, Ipaja, Ayobo, confessed at the squad headquarters, Alausa, Lagos, that he is one of the robbery syndicate operating in Mile 2, Ajegunle and its environs.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...