Sunday 12 April 2015

PDP Reps member-elect attacked in Lagos

A People Democratic Party, PDP, House of Representatives member-elect in Lagos State, Mr. Oghene Egoh was on Thursday attacked by suspected assassins at Mile 2 area of the state. The incident happened at 9: 30 pm when Oghene, a non indigene elected to represent Amuwo Odofin/Ifelodun Federal Constituency was returning from a political meeting.

Narrating his ordeal to Vanguard, he noted that until the incident happened, he was oblivious that he was being trailed from the Island where he had attended the forum that was convened as part of his party’s preparation for yesterday’s governorship elections. It was also gathered that his Sports Utility Vehicle, SUV, was damaged by the gang of three men, who rode in a black coloured SUV.

Oghene’s SUV which is currently in the premises of Area L Police Division, Satellite Town, was badly damaged by the suspected attackers. Further speaking on his ordeal, Oghene said: “In my life, I have never come this close to death. I thank God for saving my life. I was returning from a meeting from a political meeting at Lagos Island around 9.30pm and I noticed that my driver was driving roughly along the National Theatre Bridge.

“I cautioned him not knowing what was happening and while he was driving, I was receiving calls. When we got to mile-two, there was traffic and all of a sudden I heard loud noise inside my vehicle, only to notice that my car side glasses had been shattered completely. I tried hiding in my vehicle, praying to God.

“Unfortunately, my driver moved close to a trailer and hit a Camry vehicle in our front.

The owners of the vehicle came out but those who attacked us ran, thinking that the Camry owners were part of my security details.’’

“It was a coaster vehicle that saved my situation and carried me to Alakija, where I boarded a commercial bus to Area “L” Police Command and reported the case. This was about 10.30pm,” he said.

When asked if he has been receiving death threats, he said that in as much as he was suspecting some political undertone, he also urged the electorate to vote candidates of their choice without fear or favour. I have not received any death threats from anyone and I don’t know who could do such thing. My opponents conceded defeat when we all heard the results. We should not use violence as a means for victory during or after elections. My advice to the masses is to come out en masse and vote whoever they believe would move the state forward.’’

Giving his account of the incident, his driver, Mr. Sunday Achibong said: “They were following us from Ijora and I drove faster. My boss cautioned me but he did not know what was going on. When we got to mile-two, the attackers drew me out of the vehicle and our vehicle hit a Camry. My boss managed to escape. It was a terrible experience.” He said.

The state police spokesman, DSP Kenneth Nwosu confirmed that Egoh on Thursday night reported a case of attempted assassination, adding that the command is investigating the incident.

Source: Vanguard

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...