Wednesday 29 July 2015

Miracle baby pulled crying from the rubble after 22 HOURS in Nepal earthquake is homeless and hungry - Mother says

Rasmila Awal stands in front of their home with her son Sonit, who was pulled from the rubble 22 hours after the earthquake struck Nepal on April 25 2015.

Sonit was just five months old when he was trapped in rubble after the deadly 7.8 magnitude quake struck in April.

In the immediate aftermath of the disaster Rasmila told how she was inundated with offers of help and support. But Sonit's mother now believes they have been forgotten about just months after pictures of his miraculous escape captured the attention of the world.

Here's what Rasmila had to share in an exclusive interview with MailOnline.

''Since the earthquake times have been so difficult. Yes, we are alive, but we have no house, no work and no money to buy food, '' Rasmila told MailOnline.

On how Sonit was rescued. 

''When the earthquake happened the first thing on my mind was the children that I had to rescue both of them,'' she said. ''I could think of nothing else but trying to save my baby. I was very sad. I did not eat. I did not sleep. I could hear him crying from the ruins of our home. People thought my baby was already dead. I still hoped he was alive and had not lost hope because I had not yet seen him or his body. When he finally came up I wanted to hold him and I almost couldn’t wait. The first thing I said when he was free of the rubble was his nickname - Babu - which means little boy, and when he heard that he was smiling.  At that moment I knew he was alive and alright. I will call him Babu for the rest of his life now because of that. They took him and me to the hospital and it took three hours at the hospital before we was finally reunited.

''My two 14 and 16-years-old cousins died in the rubble of the same house, and in the Bhaktapur area 400 people died and many of them was kids. So everybody, including other mums who have lost their kids, have said that I have been very lucky. It’s a miracle. It must be a miracle because nobody would have survived it. He must be god’s special child because god was probably sitting next to him all the time through those 22 hours,'' Rasmila added.

Sister Soniya Awal, 10, father Shyam, 34, mother Rasmila, 35, with baby Sonit in front of their flattened house.

Read full interview at www.dailymail.co.uk









No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...