Saturday 3 October 2015

Muhammad Ali honored in his Kentucky hometown

Sports Illustrated have named its Sportsman Legacy Award after Muhammad Ali on Thursday October 1 in his hometown Kentucky in the United States.

The 73-year-old legendary boxer, who is battling Parkisnon's disease, was joined by fellow boxing legends George Foreman, Larry Holmes and former NBA star Shaquille O'Neal also were on hand for the ceremony on the 40th anniversary of Ali's third fight with Joe Frazier in the Philippines, an epic 14-round battle known as the "Thrilla in Manila." Ali earned his second victory over Frazier when the former champion didn't come out for the final round, and that fight is considered one of the greatest events in boxing and sports.

''Sometimes I say I'm still dreaming. Being a kid, I never thought I'd be sitting next to the champ, watching him receive an award. That wasn't in my dream playbook, '' O'Neal said, a long-time friend of the family who posed alongside Ali's wife Lonnie.

''This is the greatest man I've ever met in my life,'' Foreman said. ''I get excited and my heart beats (fast) every time I meet him. He's a good friend. I never thought a guy would beat me up like that and become my friend. Ali got a heart. He will give you the shirt off his back.''

Ali did not speak during the ceremony.

MUHAMMAD ALI FIGHT RECORD 

Fights  61, Won  56,  by KO  37, Lost 5 and by KO 1



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...