Saturday 31 January 2015

Serena Williams wins 6th Australian, 19th major title

Serena Williams 33-year-old won her 19th Grand Slam title by beating Maria Sharapova 6-3 7-6 (7-5) and continued her unbeaten run in six Australian Open finals.
"I'm so honored to be here and to hold this 19th trophy," Williams said. "I didn't think it would happen this fast, to be honest, but it feels really good."
"I would love to get to 22. I mean, 19 was very difficult to get to," she said. "But I have to get to 20 first, and then I have to get to 21. It will be a very big task.
She became the oldest winner of the Australian women's title in the Open era and moved into outright second place on the list of major winners in the Open era, behind only Steffi Graf's 22. Almost immediately, her thoughts turned to the next major.

Source: Yahoo News

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...