Saturday 12 September 2015

Flavia Pennetta beats Roberta Vinci to win US Open, then announces her retirement. Serena Williams writes Pennetta

Flavia Pennetta lifts the US Open trophy after beating her countrywoman Roberta Vinci 7-6 (7-4), 6 -2 to pocket prize money of £2.2 million Saturday at Flushing Meadows in New York.

The 33-year-old Italian world number 26 became the oldest woman to win a debut Major championship in the modern era, then immediately quit tennis.

''One month ago I took the biggest decision of my life,'' Pennetta said shortly after collecting her trophy announced her shock retirement from tennis. ''This is the way I’d like to say goodbye to tennis. I’m really happy, every player wants to go out with this big trophy, to take it home. I can’t think of any better way to finish my career. Before this tournament began I never thought I could go so far and end up champion. This is a big surprise for me as well. It’s a dream come true. As a youngster, I dreamed of being number one and winning a grand slam and it was nice to play in this final with a friend I’ve known since I was nine-years-old.''

Serena Williams wrote on twitter Saturday to congratulate Pennetta after her winning, ''@flavia_pennetta congrats I'm so happy you won. You deserved it. I am also happy for the rest of your life's journey. I will miss your smile.''

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi flew in to watch the all-Italy final at Flushing Meadows.

                                      Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi was all happy...






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...