Saturday 30 January 2016

Angelique Kerber upsets Serena Williams to win Australian Open

Germany's Angelique Kerber defeated Serena Williams to win her first major title 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 in the Australian Open final on Saturday, denying the 34-year-old world No. 1 her seventh crown in Melbourne and the chance to pull level with Steffi Graf on 22 grand slam victories.

''I was with one leg in the plane for Germany," the 28-year-old world No. 6 said of nearly going out in the first round. "I take my chance to be here in the final and play against Serena. My dream come true tonight, on this night. My whole life I was working so hard and now I can say that I’m a Grand Slam champion… it sounds so crazy.

''I'm really enjoying this moment right now. This is the best two weeks of my life, my career. I had goosebumps when I was playing on the court," Kerber said, playing in her first major final.

"You did so well, let me be the first to congratulate you," Williams said on court. "You truly played so well in the moment."




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...