Sunday 31 January 2016

BREAKING: Novak Djokovic beats Andy Murray to win 2016 Australian Open final

Novak Djokovic beat Andy Murray 6-1, 7-5, 7-6 to win the Australian Open title for the sixth time and to claim his 11th grand slam.

The 28-year-old Serbian world No.1's victory puts him level with Rod Laver and Bjorn Borg on 11 Grand Slam titles and moves him within six of Roger Federer

"I feel like I’ve been here before," says 28-year-old Scottish World No. 2 as he approaches the microphone. "I just want to congratulate Novak. What he has done, it’s incredible. To him and his team, well done. Sorry I couldn’t get it done tonight. It’s been a tough couple of weeks and I thank you all for your support"

 "Andy you are a great champion and friend. I'm sure you'll have more opportunities to fight for this trophy,'' Djokovic said. ''Thank you to my team. A Grand Slam is unique, we all breathe as one. We live each hour with a purpose. To Mr Roy Emerson who isn’t here tonight, it's a privilege to match your record of six Australian Open.''




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...