Wednesday 26 August 2015

Tinubu opens up on attacks on Fashola, denies involvement

Former Lagos Governor Bola Tinubu has opened on the recent attacks on the immediate past Lagos Governor Fashola, saying he's no hand in whatever is happening.

The 63-year-old who's a leader of the All Progressives Congress said in a statement on Wednesday that his political relationship with Fashola remains intact.

''In my mind, Governor Fashola and I are and shall always be political allies and fellow travelers on a vital journey; that alliance is unshakable and our journey must not be interrupted,'' Tinubu said. ''I would no more attack his character or his administration than I would attack myself. An attack against the performance of Governor Fashola is indirectly an attack against me and the edifice of achievement we have constructed in leading Lagos state out of a protracted time of stagnation and into an era of sustained progress and development. I for one will not bend to the artificial provocation of those seeking to tear at what we have painstakingly built over the years. Those who are against us were never placed in fear of the heavy hand of government descending on them even as they played funny tricks.'

‎''I am proud to say that I played an instrumental role in bringing Governor Fashola into politics in the first instance,'' he continued. ''He served as my trusted chief of staff, performing excellently in that role. Due to his leadership qualities and diligent work ethic, I endorsed him for governor notwithstanding the stiff and vocal opposition of many. I am not ashamed of backing him. I believe the progress the state made under his administration has more than vindicated my endorsement. Fashola, the present Governor Akin Ambode including myself are the products of a progressive political institution and its programmatic expressions. I laid the governance foundation and started the first lap, running as well as I could. I handed the baton to Fashola, knowing he would do the same. He did; he ran as well as he could. Now, he has handed to Ambode who is off and running as well as he can. We have achieved much in Lagos; but, we recognize as much as anyone that we have much more to do. We also know that progress is fragile and easily undone while destruction is easily transacted but hard to undo. I for one am not the type to tear down my own house or to bring my enemy’s rubbish into it. We also must remember than in any democracy, a number of people will always oppose you no matter the quality of your performance. If an office holder has an approval rating of 70 percent, this means, in Lagos, roughly five million people dislike the person. Also remember the PDP is just recently out of office at the federal level and that it built a vast, unprecedented financial war chest to contest the elections. The residual of that war chest is still at work, buying media space to plant rumors in hopes of spreading discord through the APC. Thus, the enemy camp may be a minority but it is a large and well-funded one that knows its only chance lies in us attacking ourselves.''

According to Premium Times, Mr. Fashola, who governed Lagos State between 2007 and 2011, had been the subject of a media blitz after details of contracts he awarded during his administration was made public earlier this month.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...